Five Easy Ways to Improve Your Health (and a Laugh)
Here are five simple ways you can improve your health every day. Even if you add only one or two of these to your daily life you will be doing yourself a terrific favor!
1. Moving Along. Drink warm or hot water every morning before you put anything else in your body. This helps to cleanse your system and get things moving along. For a greater effect add some lemon to your water.
2. Breathe Deeply. Proper breathing is one of the most important contributors to good health. Breathe deeply, letting your belly be soft and expand as your lungs fill with air. Allow your lungs to fill all the way to the bottom.
3. Spice It Up. Use spices (such as turmeric, garlic, cumin, ginger and cinnamon) often and generously in your food and drink. Food is medicine and spices have multitudes of antioxidants and healing properties.
4. Five Minute Massage. Give yourself a five minute foot massage or belly rub each night before going to bed. Use plenty of warm oil such as olive, safflower or jojoba (organic if possible) and add a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or sweet orange for enhanced benefits. Both types of massage help you relax, destress and be present in your body. Foot massage can access the reflexology points which correspond to all parts of your body; abdominal massage can improve digestion and elimination among many other benefits.
5. Plant Yourself. Buy some indoor plants; they purify the air and increase the humidity, reducing allergies and sinusitis. Bringing nature into our homes helps us to feel happier, more grounded (my favorite word) and less stressed.
Laugh. Laughter decreases stress hormones and can act as a powerful muscle relaxer. Laughter can help you breathe deeper, strengthen your immune system, forget about pain and lower blood pressure. If you need a little help with this one and you like the plant tip then watch this little number.